Food of the week - Olive oil
❓What brand of extra-virgin olive oil do you have in your pantry right now?
The Ultimate Health Elixir 🌿
Olive oil isn't just a kitchen staple; it's a health elixir! Known as the healthiest fat on Earth, it's loaded with antioxidants, monounsaturated fats, and let's not forget—polyphenols!
The Health Benefits Unpacked ❤️
- Heart Health: Olive oil is a heart's best friend. It helps lower bad cholesterol and pump up the good stuff.
- Anti-Inflammatory: It's rich in oleocanthal, a natural anti-inflammatory that acts like ibuprofen. Less inflammation means a lower risk of chronic diseases.
- Polyphenol Power: Extra virgin varieties are bursting with polyphenols. These compounds are game-changers; they improve heart health, boost brain function, and even have anti-cancer properties.
- Brain Boost: Studies suggest it can even protect against Alzheimer's and improve cognitive function.
- Natural Antibacterial: It's got properties that can fight off harmful bacteria, including the ones that cause stomach ulcers and digestive issues.
Quality Over Quantity ✅
For the best health benefits, make sure you're using 100% extra virgin olive oil. It's the least processed form and contains more of the good stuff—antioxidants and vitamins.
Kitchen Creativity 🍳
From salad dressings to pestos and sautés, olive oil is your culinary playground. Experiment and enjoy!
Storage 101 🗃️
Olive oil is sensitive to light and heat. A cool, dark cupboard is its happy place. If it comes in a clear bottle, transfer it to a dark, glass container to preserve its goodness.
Recipe of the week - Simple Sauteed Spinach
👩🏾🍳🤩I have a side dish recipe for you that’s PERFECT for this week because it contains greens, which are traditional to eat at the beginning of the year.
PLUS … it includes OLIVE OIL, this week’s food of the week!
🥬You also can make this with kale or Swiss chard.
(makes 6 servings)
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp red chilli flakes
- 16 oz (450 grams) spinach, rinsed and dried, any tough ribs and stems removed,
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Pink Himalayan salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and chilli flakes and saute for one minute, long enough to infuse the oil but not so long that the garlic will burn.
- Add handfuls of kale separately, tossing each to ensure they are fully coated with oil.
- Cover the pan and let cook for 5 minutes, stirring 1-2 times.
- Remove the lid and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!
Olive oil is more than just a tasty addition to your meals; it's a wellness powerhouse! Here's why it's a must-have:
- Heart Hero: It's a pro at balancing cholesterol—lowering the bad and boosting the good.
- Antioxidant Ace: Packed with antioxidants, it fights off cell damage and keeps inflammation at bay.
- Polyphenol Power: Extra virgin olive oil is rich in polyphenols, compounds that have been shown to improve heart health, support brain function, and even have anti-cancer properties.
- Wellness All-Rounder: From aiding digestion to giving you that skin glow and even sharpening your mind, olive oil is your holistic health buddy.
It's a key player in the Mediterranean lifestyle, celebrated for its health perks like lower rates of heart disease and a longer, happier life.
✅Pro Tip: For the highest polyphenol content, always go for extra virgin olive oil. But keep an eye on portions—it's calorie-rich, so a little goes a long way!