Food of the week - Broccoli
💚 When was the last time you had some broccoli? How do you indulge in this nutritious little green "tree stalks" vegetable?
A Nutrient-Rich Superfood🥦
Broccoli isn't just famous for its green and crunchy florets; it's a nutritious nature's wonder too! Known as the ultimate superfood, it's packed with essential nutrients, fibre, and, let's not forget—tons of health benefits!
The Health Benefits Unpacked ❤️
- Nutrient-Rich: Broccoli is loaded with essential nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, making it a fantastic addition to your diet, supporting overall health and vitality.
- Vitamins Galore: Broccoli is a treasure trove of essential nutrients like vitamins C, K, A, and folate that boost your immune system, support skin health and many more.
- Dietary Fibre: The high fibre content in broccoli supports healthy digestion and keeps you feeling full, making it a fantastic addition to your diet.
- Low in Calories: Despite its impressive nutritional content, broccoli is relatively low in calories, making it an ideal addition to your balanced diet.
- Antioxidants: Rich with antioxidants, broccoli helps protect your cells from damage, reduces the risk of certain diseases, and promotes health and overall well-being.
- Bone Health: Packed with vitamin K and calcium, broccoli supports strong and healthy bones.
- Cancer-Fighting: Studies suggest that the compounds in broccoli may help reduce the risk of certain types of cancer.
Quality and Selection ✅
When selecting the perfect broccoli, look for vibrant green florets. The stalks should be crisp and firm, not rubbery, and have a fresh, earthy scent. Opt for organic if possible to minimize pesticide exposure.
Kitchen Creativity 🍳
From raw salad and steamed florets to tossing in stir-fries and incorporating in creamy soups, these versatile green tiny tree stalks are perfect for countless culinary creations. Get creative and savour its wholesome goodness!
Storage 101 🗃️
To store broccoli properly, it should be kept in a cool and dry place. The crisper drawer in your refrigerator is the ideal spot. You may wrap it in a damp paper towel to maintain its moisture. If you have already chopped it, place it in an airtight container to retain its freshness and crispness.
Recipe of the week - Broccoli & Cucumber Salad
🥦🥒 This simple broccoli and cucumber salad recipe makes a surprising side dish. It's good with broiled salmon or roasted chicken! (or any main course)
🥗 You will LOVE the dressing–you can use it on hot or cold foods, and it even makes a great last-minute addition to any stir fry.
BROCCOLI & CUCUMBER SALAD
(makes 4 servings)
- ¼ cup (65 grams) natural peanut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- ½ tsp ground ginger (or 2 tsp fresh grated ginger)
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp warm water, to thin dressing
- Optional: a dash of sriracha or hot sauce
TO MAKE THE DRESSING:
Place all the dressing ingredients into a mason jar and shake well to incorporate.
(This will keep for a week in the refrigerator)
- 1 lb broccoli florets, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 small seedless cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- Combine the broccoli and cucumbers in a medium bowl.
- Add the olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss well to combine.
- Place the salad on a platter and spoon the peanut dressing over it.
- Top with cranberries and serve.
Broccoli is more than just a delicious green vegetable – it's a nutritious superfood! Here's why it's a must-have in your diet:
- Nutrient-Rich Hero: Packed with essential nutrients for overall health and vitality.
- Vitamins Booster: Contains vitamins C, K, A, and folate to boost the immune system and more.
- Digestive Aid: High fibre content aids digestion and promotes a feeling of fullness.
- Calorie-wise: Despite its nutritional content, it's calorie-friendly for a balanced diet.
- Antioxidants Ace: Protects cells, reduces disease risk, and promotes well-being.
- Bone Health Saviour: Supports strong and healthy bones with vitamin K and calcium.
- Cancer-Fighter: Compounds in broccoli may reduce the risk of certain cancers.
This versatile delicious green vegetable is celebrated for its rich essential nutrients, its ability to enrich your meals and boost your overall health and well-being. So steam, sauté, or toss it into your favourite recipes, and savour the goodness of these super nutritious green florets!
✅To enjoy the best of broccoli's freshness, crunchiness, and flavour, ensure to prepare it when it's at its peak. Include it as a regular part of your diet to reap its numerous health benefits.